Phase One of I-395/3rd Street Tunnel Construction Project Begins February 24
Michelle Phipps-Evans — (202) 497-0124, [email protected]
(Washington DC) The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) announced today that Property Group Partners (PGP), the developer of Capitol Crossing, will begin construction in the I-395/3rd Street Tunnel tomorrow, February 24, 2015. Work in northbound and southbound lanes will be performed between D Street and New York Avenue, NW, and have no significant impact on traffic during daytime hours. Minor traffic impacts, which will be primarily overnight, will occur to accommodate this enabling work.
Motorists should anticipate delays during this first phase due to periodic lane and ramp closures at night and one permanent ramp closure (I-395 3rd Street off-ramp). This phase of the construction project will take approximately five to six months to complete, weather permitting.
Motorists can anticipate the following impact on traffic in the area:
- The I-395 southbound off-ramp to the 3rd Street Tunnel will be closed permanently during this phase. There will be no vehicle parking on the ramp, and motorists should seek alternative routes.
- The southbound travel lanes will be reduced to a single lane of traffic on a limited number of weekdays during off-peak hours, from 11 pm to 5 am; and on certain weekends from midnight to 7 am.
- The I-395 northbound 3rd Street Tunnel on-ramp will close on a limited number of weekdays during off-peak hours from midnight to 5 am; and on certain weekends from midnight to 8 am. During the 3rd Street on-ramp closures, traffic will be diverted to the 3rd and D Street on-ramp.
- The northbound travel lanes will be reduced to a single lane of traffic during off-peak hours from 9 pm to 5 am for a limited number of weekdays; and on certain weekends from midnight to 8 am.
- The northbound off-ramp at 2nd Street, NW, will remain open.
- Motorists will experience more delays at the following intersections:
- New York Avenue and the 3rd Street Tunnel entrance.
- New York Avenue and 4th Street, NW
- New York and New Jersey Avenue, NW
- 2nd Street and D Street, NW
- 3rd and D Street Tunnel Entrance
Truck traffic must follow truck detours and adhere to over-height restrictions. Traffic on northbound and southbound I-395 will experience slower speeds through the work zones.
At this time, no parking restrictions are anticipated. Pedestrians and bicyclists should pay attention to changing traffic patterns as well.
Motorists are urged to stay alert and use caution when traveling through the work zones. Fines are doubled for speeding in work zones. Motorists are also advised to plan for additional travel time, use alternate routes or seek alternate means of transportation, as traffic delays are likely to occur.
For additional details, please contact the project’s public outreach office at (202) 719-0196.
For more information about the project, visit www.3rdsttunnel.com
Visit goDCgo.com for more information on transportation options in the District.