New Resident Resources
Welcome to the District of Columbia! The District is a great place to live, work and play. We have compiled a list of useful resources to help as you settle in here. If you see any other web information that you think might be helpful for new residents, please let us know.
- Register your vehicle
- Get a DC License or Identification Card
- Get a Temporary Parking Permit for movers or contractual employees
Explore the many options for getting around in the District.
- WMATA (Metro and Metrobus)
- DC Taxicab Commission
- DC Circulator
- Capital Bikeshare
- MetroAccess (paratransit service)
- Sign up for utilities with Pepco
- Get information about Washington Gas
- Get water information from DC Water
- Learn about how you can reduce your energy usage with eco-friendly living tips from the Department of the Environment
The DC One card is a consolidated credential designed to give children, adults and seniors access to DC government facilities and programs, including public schools, recreation centers, metro and public libraries.
Public Schools and Libraries
- DC Public Schools Enrollment Information
- DC Public Charter Schools
- My School DC Public School Lottery
- DC Public Library
Register to vote and find your polling place.
Dog owners must show proof that their pets have had rabies and distemper shots and renew their dog’s license each year.
Get information about trash collection in your neighborhood including trash collection days and holiday schedules.
- Get information about your property taxes.
- Learn about renters' rights in the District.
- Find your Advisory Neighborhood Commission Representative
- Find your police district/ service area
Activities & Programs
Get information for seniors and caretakers from the DC Office on Aging’s Aging and Disability Resource Center.