Mayor Bowser Reminds Families to Register for DPR Summer Camp Lottery Starting on February 12
(Washington, DC) – Today, Mayor Muriel Bowser and the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) are reminding families that the summer camp lottery registration will open on Monday, February 12 and close on Monday, February 26. This year, DPR is offering summer camps for youth ages 3-13 at more than 50 DPR recreation centers across all eight wards.
“The Department of Parks and Recreation is our agency that brings the fun, and that is especially true at our summer camps,” said Mayor Bowser. “We implemented our summer camp lottery last year to address the summer camp scramble and to make our registration system more inclusive and equitable. We are looking forward to another fantastic summer camp experience and it starts with the lottery.”
For the second year, families will register through the summer camp lottery system. The summer lottery system was established by DPR in 2023 to create a more inclusive and equitable registration system for enrolling youth in summer camps.
DPR summer camps will operate this year in four sessions from June 26 to August 16, with before and after care also available for families. As with all DPR programs, reduced rates are available for qualifying families, but families must apply for reduced rates before February 26 to qualify. Families can register online for the summer camp lottery starting February 12 and learn more at DPRsummercamp.com.
“I am extremely excited about all we have in store for campers this summer,” said DPR Director Thennie Freeman. “The entire team at DPR is working tirelessly to ensure equity through our lottery process and create dynamic camp programs for children of all ages. DPR summer camps promise to be filled with exciting activities, learning opportunities, memorable moments and a few surprises.”
Residents can also receive in-person assistance every day (except Sundays and Presidents Day) for individuals who would like to register for the lottery in-person. A full list of locations and dates for in-person assistance is available at DPRsummercamp.com.
DPR will also hold two virtual information sessions for residents to learn more about summer camps and the lottery system. The first information session will take place on Wednesday, February 7 at 12 pm and the other will take place at 6:30 pm on the same day. Both sessions will cover the same information and one of the presentations will be posted online for any residents who did not get a chance to attend. More details about the information sessions are available at DPRsummercamp.com.
DPR summer camps for 2024 will include:
- Little Explorers - Ages 3-5: Your little explorer will enjoy DPR’s signature day camp for little ones hosted at DPR recreation centers.
- Discovery Camp - Ages 6-10: Children enjoy DPR's signature day camp hosted at DPR recreation centers.
- Multi-Sport Camp - Ages 8-13: Day camp with a focus on sports skills and teamwork, hosted at DPR recreation centers.
- Nothing But Net Camp - Ages 8-13: Enjoy a week of polishing up your basketball skills along with additional enrichment activities.
- Cheer-nastics Camp - Ages 8-12: Join us for an exhilarating summer experience at CHEER-NASTICS camp for ages 8-12! Unleash your child's energy as they learn exciting cheer routines, perfect gymnastic flips, and build lasting friendships in a fun and supportive environment.
- Aqua Day Camp - Ages 6-13: Campers will be instructed on breathing techniques, swim stroke mechanics and water safety awareness. Advanced activities will depend on the pace of the group. Each session will conclude with a swim meet.
- Future EGOT Performing Arts Camp - Ages 6-10: Performing Arts camp offers participants the chance to explore their artistic side with this exciting camp! Learn the basics of a variety of performing arts genres, including dance, theatre, and spoken word. Share your talents with other camp participants and learn from each other as well. Be a star with DPR!
- Little STEAM Engine - Ages 3-5: Join us for this introductory, age-appropriate camp highlighting science, technology, engineering, art, and math. Campers will explore science, music technology, art appreciation, and other activities.
- Full STEAM Ahead - Ages 6-10: Join us for an action-packed camp focusing on science, technology, engineering, art and math. Campers will explore coding, music technology, art appreciation, and other activities.
- Kitchen Confidential Culinary Camp - Ages 8-11: Sharpen your culinary skills, while learning about different cuisines, cultures, and customs. Develop healthy lifestyle tips and develop personal growth skills under instruction from experts in the food industry. Discover how fun and easy healthy cooking can be...and learn new skills that you can showcase to your family and friends!
DPR also offers Therapeutic Recreation summer camps for children with and without developmental and intellectual disabilities. An application and assessment must be completed prior to enrollment. Details and a link to the application can be found at DPRsummercamp.com.
To learn more about the summer camps available and register through the summer camp lottery starting February 12, visit DPRsummercamp.com