DC Government Will Open on Time on Tuesday, February 2
(Washington, DC) Tonight, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced that on Tuesday, February 2, DC Government will open on time and public COVID-19 testing sites will re-open.
DCPS is on a two-hour delay for in-person students on Tuesday, February 2. Students who do not report in person should also plan to log into virtual classes two hours later than their usual time. All staff working in person or remotely should continue their normal tour of duty.
The District Snow Team will remain in a prowl, with 30 heavy plows deployed. The Snow Team is also pre-treating and will remove snow at municipal buildings, DC Public Schools, first responder locations, hypothermia centers, homeless shelters, and COVID-19 testing sites.
Hypothermia Alert and Shelters
If you see someone outside in need of shelter or a welfare check, during freezing temperatures, call the Shelter Hotline at 202-399-7093, or dial 311. If there is an immediate risk to safety call 911. Transportation to shelter is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Winter Weather Tips
- Find your snow shovel and make sure it is adequate for another snow season.
- Check your supply of abrasives – deicer, rock salt or non-clumping kitty litter – and get more if necessary. The District has used pet-friendly deicer on its pedestrian bridges for several years and found it to melt ice effectively and be easy on pets’ paws.
- Have enough over-the-counter and prescription medications for your family and pet(s).
- Make sure your gutters are cleared of leaves. You don’t want leaves to block the flow of rainwater that may freeze.
- Turn off all outdoor water faucets.
- Keep your vehicle’s fluids tanks – gas, water, antifreeze and windshield wiper – full.
- Have a flashlight, blankets, and scrapers in your vehicle before a storm begins.
The District Snow Team will continue to monitor the weather forecast and adjust its response as necessary. For more information about DC’s snow program and preparing for winter weather, visit snow.dc.gov.
Mayor Bowser Twitter: @MayorBowser
Mayor Bowser Instagram: @Mayor_Bowser
Mayor Bowser Facebook: facebook.com/MayorMurielBowser
Mayor Bowser Website: mayor.dc.gov
Mayor Bowser YouTube: https://www.bit.ly/eomvideos