Mayor Bowser Announces District Government to Close at 1 pm on Christmas Eve
(Washington, DC) – In celebration of the holiday season, and to thank employees for their continued dedication to the District government and the residents they serve, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced that District Government offices and service centers will close on Christmas Eve, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, at 1 pm.
District government agencies will remain prepared to readily serve District residents in the event of crisis, emergency, or any first-responder capacity.
The government will remain closed on Christmas Day, December 25, and reopen on Thursday, December 26.
In addition, below is information regarding critical, on-going District operations for Christmas Day:
The DC Department of Public Works (DPW) will suspend sanitation services on December 25, 2019, with services resuming the day after.
- Trash and recycling collections will “slide” to the next day for the remainder of the week into Saturday. For example, households that normally receive trash/recycling collections on Wednesday will be serviced Thursday.
- The Fort Totten and Benning Road transfer stations will be closed on December 25, 2019.
Leaf collections will not be made on Christmas Day.
All DC Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) locations will be closed:
- Wednesday, December 25, 2019
Regular business hours will resume on Thursday, December 26, 2019. The complete list of locations and hours of operation are available at [dmv.dc.gov.]dmv.dc.gov.
All DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) administrative offices, recreation/community centers, and indoor aquatic facilities will be closed on December 25, 2019. Facilities will reopen on December 26, 2019.
- All grass fields are now closed for the winter season until Sunday, March 15, 2020.
- All synthetic fields, playgrounds, tennis courts, and basketball courts will be open on December 25, 2019.
- All previously-permitted events on December 25, 2019 will take place as scheduled.
All DC Public Library (DCPL) locations will be closed on December 25, 2019.
Street Construction, Lane Restrictions, Parking, and Enforcement
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) has made the following service changes listed below:
- DDOT will not apply reversible lane operations on December 25, 2019. Reversible lane operations will resume on December 26, 2019.
- Work will be suspended in the District from 12:00 p.m., December 24, 2019 through December 25, 2019. Lane closures and work zones will not be allowed unless emergency work is being performed. This includes manhole access and construction-related deliveries.
- Parking meters will not be in effect on December 25, 2019.
- Residential parking and rush hour lane restrictions will not be enforced om December 25, 201. Parking enforcement will resume December 26, 2019.
- DPW’s impoundment lot will resume operations at Blue Plains on December 26, 2019. DPW will not tow abandoned vehicles.
- DPW will enforce streetcar parking restrictions along the H Street/Benning Road, NE corridor. “Blocked” streetcar parking enforcement is daily, including weekends and holidays along H Street and Benning Road, NE, between 3rd Street and Oklahoma Avenue, NE. On holidays, enforcement is between 8 am and 11 pm.
The Department of Human Services (DHS) has made the following service changes:
- The DHS Call Center will be closed on December 25, 2019.
- All DHS-ESA Service Centers will be closed on December 25, 2019.
- The Virginia Williams Family Resource Center will be closed on December 25, 2019.
- The Adams Place Day Center is closed on December 25, 2019.
The following Low Barrier Shelters will remain open on December 25, 2019:
- Saint Josephine Bakhita (women) at 6010 Georgia Avenue, NW
- Harriet Tubman (women) at 1900 Massachusetts Avenue SE, Building #27
- Patricia Handy Place (women) 810 5th Street, NW
- New York Avenue Shelter (men) at 1355 New York Avenue, NE
- 801 East Shelter (men) at 801 Making Life Better Lane, SE
- Adams Place Emergency Shelter (men) at 2210 Adams Place, NE
- Malcolm X Opportunity Center (co-ed) at 1351 Alabama Avenue, SE
- King Greenleaf Recreation Center (women) at 201 N Street, SW