Washington, DC

Bookmark and Share

Rental Assistance

Renter assistance is provided to aid tenants in understanding their rights and responsibilities, including issues such as potential displacement, rental/eviction counseling and ongoing apartment management.

Temporary Cash Assistance Program

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program provides cash benefits to needy families with dependent children. To see if you qualify and apply, visit dhs.dc.gov/service/whats-new-tanf

Emergency Rental Assistance

The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) helps income eligible District residents facing housing emergencies. The program provides funding for overdue rent if a qualified household is facing eviction (including late costs and court fees). The program also supports security deposits and first month’s rent for residents moving to new apartments. ERAP serves income eligible District households with children, elderly households and people with disabilities. The amount paid on behalf of eligible families depends on a household’s income and available resources and is subject to certain limitations. To learn more, visit dhs.dc.gov/node/117692.

Housing Counseling Services

The Rental Accommodation Division of DHCD offers housing counseling services to tenants facing eviction or rent assistance problems. Tenants in need of referrals to rental assistance and/or legal counsel providers can call (202) 442-9505 and a DHCD representative will talk to them about their options.

Tenants can also contact:

D.C. Office of the Tenant Advocate         (202) 719-6560

Housing Counseling Services                 (202) 667-7006

Latino Economic Development Corp.     (202) 588-5102