Washington, DC

Bookmark and Share

Proof of Identity

DC One Card logo

Adults (18 and older) Proof of Identity and Residency

Primary Identity Documents (one required) - Must be valid and original, contain a photograph and DOB

  • Driver’s license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States, provided it contains a photograph and information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address. Note: As of Spring 2014, we now accept the paper temporary DC DMV licenses (but not paper licenses from other states) as long as presented within the 45 day expiration period
  • US Passport or Passport Card
  • ID card issued by US federal, state, or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph and information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  • US military card that contains a photograph and DOB at minimum
  • Military dependent’s ID card
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport
  • Employment Authorization Document (Card) that contains a photograph (Form I-766)

Accepted DC Residency Documents (one required if not established through the Primary Id Document provided)

Must be original (which includes computer printouts for online bills) and contain a valid address (P.O. boxes not acceptable).

  • Utility bill (Water, Gas, Electric, Oil, or Cable) with name and address, issued within the last forty-five (45) days
  • Pay stub - Issue date within the past forty-five (45) days; showing withholding of DC taxes for the current tax year
  • Bank statement - Issue date within the past forty-five (45) days, with current DC home address
  • Unexpired Lease or Rental agreement with the name of the applicant listed as the lessee, permitted resident or renter - Issued within the last 12 months
  • DC Property Tax bill - Issued within the last 12 months and is the complete original document
  • Homeowners or Renters Insurance policy - issued within the last 12 months, reflecting name and address
  • Letter or Card from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections certifying name and residence
  • Current documentation of financial assistance received from DC government (TANF, Medicaid SCHIP, housing assistance) - Issued within forty-five (45) days

Minors (Under 18) Proof of Identity and Proof of Relationship

Minors under age 18 must apply in person with a parent, legal guardian or Agent of the State.  Parents/Guardians/Agents must present proof of their identity and present one of the following valid and original documents (must include minor’s date of birth) to provide evidence of their relationship to the minor applicant. 

  • Minor’s Birth Certificate with parent name
  • Adoption Decree with adopting parent name
  • Court Order establishing custody of minor
  • Ward of State Letter for Minors from Government Agencies