The District is a strong advocate for open government and provides a large quantity of government information available to the public. If the information you are looking for is not already available on DC.Gov, you may submit a FOIA request.
- Track DC - provides performance information on all District agencies
- Grade DC - reports on resident grading of 15 District agencies and enables residents to provide input for the next monthly grades
- Green Dashboard - provides data on the District's sustainability performance
Open Data and Other Open Government Information
- Open Government and Open Data Directive - provides a comprehensive plan for the District government to enhance transparency, accountability and collaboration with District residents and the public
- Open Data - provides hundreds of data feeds on District government information
- DC Regulations and DC Register - provides access to District regulations, the District Register and Mayoral Orders
- Contracts and Procurement - provides contracting information from a variety of agency sources
- Budget and Revenue - provides comprehensive information about the District's budget
- Public Employee Salary Information - provides salary information about District employees
- Mobile Apps - allows District agencies to connect with residents, share information and provide another channel for customer service
Open Government Agency Records
Agencies are required to ensure that the following records are made available to the public. Each agency’s required records are found on its Open Government and FOIA page. For some agencies, these records do not exist and are not listed. In cases where records exist but are not yet available online, agencies are working to provide them as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact the agency's FOIA officer.
A. Public Employee Salary Information;
B. Administrative staff manuals and instructions;
C. Final opinions made in the adjudication of cases;
D. Statements of policy;
E. Other agency determinations of the rights of the public;
F. Information dealing with the receipt or expenditure of public funds;
G. Budget information;
H. Minutes of public meetings;
I. Absentee owners addresses, and building permits;
J. Frequently requested public records
K. District-wide and agency FOIA reports;
L. Organizational chart;
M. A mechanism for the public to submit feedback on the agency’s performance or other agency actions.
Each agency’s required records are found on its Open Government and FOIA page.
Ask the Chief Data Officer
Do you have questions or suggestions regarding the District’s open government or open data initiative? Contact our Chief Data Officer.
Freedom of Information Act
Find each agency’s frequently requested public records that have been released under FOIA in the FOIA Reading Room.
If you cannot find the information you are looking for here or elsewhere on DC.Gov, you can submit a FOIA Request online.
To understand the process before making a request, please see foia.dc.gov.