Metrorail to Close Wednesday, March 16
The Washington Metro Transit Area Authority has decided to shut down the entire Metrorail system across the metro region starting at midnight, March 15, and ending at 5 am on March 17 . WMATA is closing the system to search for any equipment issues that may lead to system failures or fires (similar to what happened earlier in the week at McPherson Square).
- Metrobus, Circulator and the region’s other mass transit will continue to operate.
- Visit www.wmata.com for information on other transit options.
- The DC Circulator will provide additional service on three routes: Georgetown to Union Station, Woodley Park to McPherson Square and Dupont Circle to Rosslyn.
- Capital Bikeshare will offer free 24-hour memberships starting at midnight on March 16 until 11:59 pm on March 16. Usage fees still apply for trips over 30 minutes.
- DC Streetcar will operate on regular schedule.
Traffic and Parking
- DDOT’s Traffic Control Officers and Safety Technicians will be positioned at key locations beginning at 4 am on March 16 to assist with traffic flow and will remain on sites as necessary.
- Traffic Management Center will stand up at 4 am on Wednesday, March 16 to monitor traffic cameras around the District to identify potential hotspots for congestion.
- DDOT is also suspending all construction related activity under public space permits on March 16 beginning from 5:30 am - 9:30 am and 3:30 pm to 8 pm.
- DPW has suspended residential street sweeping for Wednesday.
- The Government of the District of Columbia will open under normal operations on Wednesday, March 16.
DCPS Schools will be open on schedule on Wednesday, March 16
- Metrobuses will be running, and the District Government is working with WMATA to add additional bus services as needed.
- Please allow extra travel time to get to and from school.
- DC Public Charter Schools will vary by location. Click here for more information.
- Federal government will open under liberal leave on Wednesday, March 16.
- For more information on the Metrorail closure, visit WMATA
- Get information on other transit options during the shutdown.